Moving Day Checklist
Moving on…a checklist of things to do…
The day of your move is very often the date of entry to the house; if so make sure that the keys will be available when you need them to avoid your removal van arriving before the sellers have moved out! Getting organised early will take some of the stress out of the move itself.
No later than 4 weeks to go
- If you are presently in rented accommodation give notice to your landlord.
- Arrange for final readings for gas, electricity and phone to be taken on the day you move out.
- Collect quotes from removal firms and check their availability on the day you move
- Start compiling a list for your change of address.
- If you are moving to a new area start locating doctors and dentists and inform your present ones that you are moving.
1 week to go
- Confirm dates and time for final meter readings for your present home.
- Confirm supplies for the new house; gas electricity and phone.
- If you have pets arrange for someone to look after them on the day of the move.
- Confirm where and when you will collect the keys.
- Send off your change of address cards.
- Arrange for your mail to be redirected.
The day of the move
- On the day of the move you will be fully involved in the move itself and not in a position to take care of many other things, but there are some things it may be handy to have easily accessible.
- For a break: kettle, mugs, milk, tea, coffee, sugar.
- For hygiene: loo paper, hand towel, soap, disinfectant.
- For cleanliness: washing up bowl, tea towels, detergent, rubber gloves, dustpan and brush, vacuum cleaner, bin bags.
- For comfort: something to sit on and sleep on.
- For emergencies: fuses and fuse wire, light bulbs, matches, basic tool kit, torch.
- For peace of mind: the phone numbers of anyone you may need to contact during the day.
Change of address
Make sure you tell everyone you have moved. This list is not exhaustive but may help:-
- Credit card companies
- Insurance company
- Gas supplier
- Electricity supplier
- Phone company
- Council tax office
- Publication subscriptions
- TV or video rental company
- Private medical insurer