Jameson & Mackay privacy notice; information for our clients.
Jameson & Mackay will be a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us when you instruct us to act on your behalf, unless otherwise stated in this privacy notice.
When you become a client of Jameson & Mackay we will collect, store and use the personal information that you provide to us in your instructions and during the course of our solicitor / client relationship. We may ask you for additional personal information during the course of our client / solicitor relationship, which shall be collected, stored and used in accordance with this privacy notice.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our clients’ personal information so that we can perform our service agreement with you. We will use our clients’ personal information to:
- provide you with legal advice, including communicating with you by email, letter and/or telephone, etc.;
- represent you as your solicitors in connection with your instructions in relation to the matter in respect of which you have instructed us to act on your behalf;
- respond to and communicate with clients regarding your questions, comments, support needs or complaints, concerns or allegations in relation to the matter in respect of which you have instructed us to act on your behalf
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to provide you with legal advice and / or represent you as your solicitors.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
We also process our clients’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- promote our services by sending clients communications with information for upcoming events and legal updates;
- invite our clients as guests to our events.
Where we process your personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to us using your personal information for the above purposes. If you wish to object to any of the above processing, please contact us by any of the following means – by writing to Jameson & Mackay, 1 Charlotte Street, Perth PH1 5LP; by telephoning on 01738 631666 or by email to
[email protected] If we comply with your objection, this may affect our ability to undertake tasks for the benefit of you as a client.
Why we need your personal information – legal obligations
We are under a legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our clients for the purposes of complying with our obligations under:
- the Law Society of Scotland requirements for solicitors;
- compliance with Anti-Money Laundering legislation and regulations
Who we share your personal information with
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities and organisations to comply with statutory obligations. Such organisations include for example – the Law Society of Scotland, HMRC, Revenue Scotland.
We may also share personal data with our professional advisors for the purposes of taking advice.
Jameson & Mackay employs third party suppliers to provide services, including IT, the marketing of property, the provision of searches and reports, etc. in relation to the matters you have instructed us to carry out on your behalf. These suppliers may process personal data on our behalf as “processors” and are subject to written contractual conditions to only process that personal data under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we do share personal data with external third parties, we will only share such personal data strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure that
recipients shall only process the disclosed personal data in accordance with those purposes.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is stored on our electronic filing system and our servers based in the UK, and is accessed by us or our staff for the purposes set out above.
How long we keep your personal information
Our Data Protection Policy provides that all client data held by us is kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed.
Jameson & Mackay holds data principally in one or both of two forms; digital and paper records.
Paper records comprise individual files held relating to a work carried out on the instructions of our clients. Paper records are retained by us for a period of ten years, following the recommendation of the Law Society of Scotland in relation to such records.
Digital records are stored in our office management software systems which are cloud based and provided by Denovo Business Intelligence Limited. Access to all data stored on these systems is
restricted to Jameson & Mackay and its employees and is password restricted.
Digital records may be held by Jameson & Mackay for an indefinite period to enable retrieval of transactional information as and when required by Jameson & Mackay or our clients.
You can exercise any of the following rights by writing to us at 1 Charlotte Street, Perth or emailing to [email protected]
Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
- you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a “subject access request”;
- if you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
- you have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
- if you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Any requests received by Jameson & Mackay will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information
Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk